A&K’s cultural odyssey to West Africa
Luxury travel pioneer Abercrombie & Kent was born on safari in East Africa in the early 1960s and has remained the benchmark for luxury travel adventure on the African continent ever since. Today, A&K has more than a dozen offices in countries throughout East, Southern and North Africa. The A&K group also operates everything from luxury safari camps and lodges to exquisite small ships on the Nile.
Private and group journeys
A&K’s footprint in Africa includes philanthropic conservation and community projects in a number of African nations. It also includes a vast portfolio of bespoke private and small group journeys and experiences to excite everyone from the first-time and once-in-a-lifetime African traveller to the fortunate few who travel regularly with A&K throughout the continent, and throughout the world.
New luxury cultural travel adventure
The A&K spirit of adventure is never quelled, always looking for new frontiers, and A&K’s Africa portfolio now includes journeys to West Africa, including a Limited Edition Small Group Journey to the vibrant West African nations of Ghana, Togo and Benin. A special departure in July 2019, limited to just 14 guests, will be hosted by Sujata Raman, A&K’s Regional managing director for Australia and Asia Pacific.
Join Sujata on this fascinating cultural odyssey and meet some of the world’s most welcoming people. Explore bustling colonial cities, palm-fringed beaches and tiny fishing villages. Visit vast forts and castles built on the back of the gold and slave trades by European colonists whose influence is still apparent today. Immerse yourself in the long history of ancient African kingdoms and cultures, and experience the vital rituals and traditions that still survive and shape life today.
Tour participants will also be swept up in the colour and movement of local markets and festivals, the healing magic of voodoo, tribal drumming and trance-dances on this enchanting journey to a surprising and still largely untraveled part of Africa.
- Witness the splendid Akwasidae Festival of the Ashanti people in Kumasi
- Attend a voodoo ceremony in Togo and meet a traditional ‘witch doctor’
- Understand a dark chapter from Ghana’s past when you visit the Slave Castle at Elmina
- Barter with the Nana Benz, Queens of African textiles in the Lomé markets
- Celebrate a life at a traditional Ashanti funeral
- Take a private boat excursion to Ganvie, Africa’s largest stilt village in the middle of Lake Nokwe
- Visit remote hamlets where ancient fishing and farming traditions are still observed
- Tour UNESCO World Heritage Listed sites including the Royal Palaces of Abomey
- Meet African artists and artisans revered for their sculptures, carvings and whimsical hand-crafted coffin
West Africa: People, Past & Present – A Limited Edition Small Group Journey
16 Days | Accra – Lome – Ouidah – Kpalime – Akossombo – Kusami – Elmina – Accra.
From $12, 815 pp twin share | Max group size: 14
Departs 2 July 2019 (+ another departure on 5 November 2019 without a guest host)
Guest host for July 2, 2019 departure
Sujata Raman is regional managing director of Abercrombie & Kent Australia /Asia Pacific, a position she has held for more than a decade. Passionate about seeing the world and experiencing its cultures, Sujata has lived on three continents and visited all seven over many years. Having attended the American University in Cairo and travelled extensively in North, East and Southern Africa, Sujata is keen to further explore the fascinating lands and cultures of West Africa. For more details visit abercrombiekent.com.au/journeys